March 07, 2006

DeLay vs. Lampson -- DeLay's statement

Here's Tom DeLay's statement on tonight:

"I have always placed my faith in the voters, and today's vote shows they have placed their full faith in me. This race was about who can effectively represent the values and the priorities of the people in this district, and I'm proud to have earned, and overwhelmingly kept, that trust among Republican voters. Not only did they reject the politics of personal destruction, but they strongly rejected the candidates who used those Democrat tactics as their platform.

"Our volunteers and grassroots activists are just incredible and they worked diligently in neighborhoods around this district. I'm honored to have them stand with me as we prepare to defend this district from the funding and activism of America's most radical Democrats.

"Liberal activists like Barbra Streisand, George Soros, and Nancy Pelosi all have a dog in this fight, and his name is Nick Lampson.

"Over the next eight months, Lampson and his national Democrat allies will continue to lie to the voters about his liberal record, attempt to take credit for Republican ideas, and use innuendo to attack my integrity. During that time my focus will remain on effectively representing the 22nd District in Congress by providing support to our troops who are fighting and winning the war on terror, securing funds to improve transportation and bolster NASA, and protecting our family values. The choice couldn't be more clear.

"Democrat attacks and the politics of personal destruction were heavily used by my opponents in this Republican primary, and they were rejected just like they will be in November. Now we need to focus on the real contest at hand -- the battle between Republicans and liberal Democrats, between myself and Nick Lampson. This election will determine who makes the decisions about continuing our fight against terrorists around the world, securing our borders, reforming our tax code, and protecting our values. I'm the only candidate who has faithfully stood up for these conservative priorities, and I am asking for Republican voters to stand with me as we defend this district from the dangerous and irresponsible representation of Nick Lampson."

I've been having trouble getting on Lampson's press release list despite a few attempts, but if I can obtain Lampson's statement, I'll print it.

UPDATE: Here's Lampson's statement, via Kuffner:
Welcome to my Texas uprising!

Tonight is the first big step toward a big change in November. The departure of Mr. DeLay has been delayed long enough.

Tonight, I called Pat Baig, Mike Fjetland, and Tom Campbell to congratulate them on their campaigns. It takes courage to put your name on the ballot against Tom DeLay in a Republican Primary and I wanted them to know they have my respect.

And I want their supporters tonight to know that I am here humbly asking for their votes. I am willing to earn these votes.

These candidates and their supporters recognized a need for change and had the courage to stand up to Tom DeLay. I hope they will join me as we fight our way to November.

Now, let me get to the heart of the matter. Right now in Washington, we're seeing scandal after scandal, the deficit's out of control, jobs are going overseas, and the special interests are running the show.

And you know who's at the center of all of it?

Tom DeLay.

Here's why I'm running for Congress.

First of all, I believe in a balanced budget. I believe you have to make choices and sacrifices. But choosing favors for lobbyists over results for Texas is not the kind of sacrifice I have in mind.

When I was in Congress, I voted to reduce the deficit, lower the national debt, and to set priorities like strengthening Social Security, homeland security, and our public schools.

Meanwhile, Tom DeLay was voting to increase the deficit, raise the debt ceiling, gut education, weaken port security, and privatize Social Security.

We had a clear difference of opinion then . and we still do now.

I believe in national security and homeland security. In particular, I'm not new to this whole issue of protecting our ports from terrorism.

When I was in Congress, I fought to pass legislation that would have increased funding for port security and increased the number of containers that are checked for biological and chemical weapons.

I voted yes. Tom DeLay voted no.

We had a clear difference of opinion then . and we still do now.

I believe in standing up for American jobs. It's time we had a representative who chooses Texas families over multi-national corporations.

We need to stop passing tax breaks for companies shipping jobs overseas. Instead, we should focus tax breaks on working families and small businesses like Cliff's Old Fashion Grill so we can create jobs and improve our economy.

On helping our working families and small businesses, I voted yes. Tom DeLay voted no.

We had a clear difference of opinion then . and we still do now.

And finally, I believe in telling the truth and accepting responsibility. But let's look at just the past few months in Washington .

The Jack Abramoff Lobbyist Scandal. The Hurricane Response Scandal. The Port Deal Scandal. And members of Congress either under indictment or being sent to prison.

It's time to send a message to Washington -- you couldn't clean up your act, so we're gonna to do it for you.

Here's what you will never hear about Nick Lampson when I'm in Congress.

You'll never hear that I sold out my fellow Texans to a Washington lobbyist.

You'll never hear that I used the IRS or the Department of Homeland Security to get revenge on people who disagreed with me.

And you'll never hear that I took money from a charity and used it for politics.

Tom DeLay gets headlines for all the wrong reasons. Well, I'm looking forward to that headline on November 8th . No Further DeLay.

When it comes to standing up for Texas families, I say this . No more delays.

Balancing the budget and returning to fiscal responsibility? No more delays.

Creating American jobs? No more delays.

Securing our ports? No more delays.

Cleaning up Washington? No more delays.

Strengthening Social Security? No more delays.

Fixing the Medicare drug benefit? No more delays.

And finishing the job in Iraq with honor and so we can bring our troops home? No more delays.

I'm honored to be your nominee . and no matter what Tom DeLay says in the weeks and months ahead, just know this .

I've got thick skin and hard hands. I'm as independent as Texas and as strong-willed as the Gulf Coast.

I'll work my hardest and I'll never let you down.

Thank you, God bless you, and God bless the Lone Star State.

<< Home