January 07, 2006

DeLay resigns as Majority Leader

FoxNews has the text of Congressman DeLay's letter to Speaker Hastert:

I am writing to inform you of my decision to permanently step aside as majority leader, and of my belief that the best interests of the conference would be served by the election of a new leader as soon as possible.

The job of majority leader and the mandate of the Republican majority are too important to be hamstrung, even for a few months, by personal distractions.

I will continue to serve my constituents and seek re-election to a 12th term representing Texas' 22nd district while I work to clear my name of the baseless charges leveled against me. I will also be reclaiming my seat on the Appropriations Committee when the second session of the 109th Congress convenes later this month.

The AP also carries quotes of reactions.

Saturday morning is fortuitous timing for DeLay.

<< Home